He's on his way back home

He's on his way back home

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Reflection on the 4 Reminders

The 4 Reminders are preliminary practices in the Tibetan Tradition.  I have found them incredibly useful in reminding myself the importance and urgency of Dharma practice on a daily basis.

1. Precious Human Rebirth
2. Impermanence
3. Karma
4. Samsara

1. On our precious human rebirth, especially after reading Lama Zopa Rinpoche's book, I feel immensely grateful for the precious human rebirth, having the 8 freedoms and 10 richness, and knowing therefore how difficult it is to obtain such a rebirth. This is the first message of the urgency of practice.

2. On impermanence, the Tibetan saying comes to my mind, "Tomorrow or next life, which comes first I don't know." Impermanence reinforces the message, highlighting the fragility of the human life.

3. On Karma, understanding that we are having this lifetime must be due to diligent efforts made in past lives, and that without diligent efforts this lifetime, causes to encounter the Dharma will not be created for future lives. Meaning if I waste this precious opportunity to do Dharma practice, I am not just wasting this one lifetime, but that I am potentially squandering countless past lives' efforts as well as future lives. Much more is at stake than I can imagine.

4. On Samsara, understanding the nature of Samsara is suffering. If I do not practice then untold suffering awaits in future lives.

All these comes together as:
1. Being grateful for this precious human rebirth
2. Wishing that my life & practice will be of benefit to all
3. Reinforcing my aspiration for rebirth in Amituofo Pure Land



No comments:

Post a Comment