He's on his way back home

He's on his way back home

Thursday, February 27, 2014

4 kinds of working with my emotional difficulties

I made an interesting observation recently with regards to my practice working with my everyday emotional difficulties.  There seem to be 4 kinds:

1. Those of the very mild variant, like maybe when someone cut my queue.  Mere Recognition of the thoughts arising would suffice to dissolve the emotion and prevent a self-centred drama from developing...

2. Those slightly stronger ones, or even mild ones, but were discovered a little late when a short self-centred drama has already been developed.  After recognition, a long out-breath with a "sighhh" seems to release the tension completely...

3.  Sometimes the emotions were stronger and the urge to play out the drama were strong.  I find it useful to Refrain from continuing the thought train and Return to the moment, focusing on the experience of uncomfortable physical sensations in the body.  Grounding myself in body awareness is a useful practice...

4. Sometimes it can be just too overwhelming and all I can do was to do my best to not escalate the drama and emotions.  Just breathing in, breathing out...riding out the storm...

And then there were many times when mindfulness was simply absent throughout the emotional drama and habitual tendencies took over completely.
The only thing I can do was to forgive myself as an after thought =P

More mindfulness needed!

May all of us continue to enjoy our practice and be well and happy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment