He's on his way back home

He's on his way back home

Saturday, February 15, 2014

Seeing Negativity as Reminders to Practice

Negativity arises throughout my daily living, ranging from little ones like irritation or impatience to big ones like anger outbursts and depressions.
Question is whether I am able to see the arising of negativity as reminders to practice?
Often negativity is a sign that I am holding onto some self-centred thoughts, hence they offer great opportunities for spiritual practice and possibility of insight into the roots of some of my usual vexations.
Question is whether I am able to perceive clearly what is actually happening, see clearly the facts of the life situation, the storyline I spin around the life situation and the uncomfortable physical sensations that accompany the storyline?
I have found working with little ones like irritation useful as they "prepare" me for the bigger ones like emotional outbursts.  Intense emotions can be quite overwhelming and just staying with the physical sensations can be a real challenge! 

Here is something from Eckhart Tolle that I find useful:

Use negativity as a kind of signal that reminds you to be more present.
Whenever you feel negativity arising within you, look on it as a voice saying,
"Attention. Here and now. Wake up. Get out of your mind. Be present."
You may be able to just drop it once you realise this energy field inside you and that it serves no purpose.
If you cannot drop it, just accept that it is there and take your attention into the feeling (physical sensations).

~Eckhart Tolle

May all of us continue to enjoy our practice and be well and happy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment