He's on his way back home

He's on his way back home

Monday, December 9, 2013

Framework of this Blog

Dear Friends,

After 3 years absence from blogging, I wish to clarify the framework of this blog.
Although I have been practicing Zen for more than 10 years, based on the "part time nature" of my practice, I remain very much a beginner and amateur.
This blog is meant for me to pen down my thoughts regarding practice and hence clarify my own practice as well as to share with some of my friends on the Dharma path.
Therefore whatever is written here are from my own amateur ramblings and NOT expert opinions or advise please.

My practice philosophy is as follows:
(why) Becoming Fully Present is my practice;
(what) Conscious Breathing is my anchor;
(when) Emotional Tension signals getting caught in a self-centred dream.

Being a ordinary layperson with a job, family and other commitments, practice is at best, a "part-time" job.  I practice with the aim of becoming fully present, as getting caught in my self-centred dreams (the opposite to becoming fully present) only leads to suffering. My primary and fundamental practice is the practice of conscious breathing, both on and off the cushion, as an anchor to becoming fully present.  In my everyday life, when emotional difficulties arises (such as anger or other emotional distress), its usually a signal that I am caught in some self-centred dream and acts as an alarm bell to recognise my self-centred thinking, refrain from my usual emotional reactions (such as outbursts) and allow myself to being just present with the physical moment (including the uncomfortable physical sensations - which can be tough at times), using the breath as my anchor.

May all be well and happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment