He's on his way back home

He's on his way back home

Friday, December 20, 2013

Staying Grounded in Everyday Living

In trying to stay grounded in the present moment during everyday life, one useful method that I have been using for years is coming back to the breath (conscious breathing).  It serves like the useful "clear button" on the calculator to release whatever self-centred thoughts or emotions that I was holding onto at that moment and return to being present.

While it can be used in most kind of activities and most times, I find it useful to remind myself to "hit the clear button" during times when alone and/or waiting for something.  Like waiting in a queue, or maybe traffic lights just turned red, or even just after spending some time on the computer or reading, using the mindfulness clock as a support.  These intentional moments of awareness makes it easier to remember to do conscious breathing during more "complex activities or interactions".

Sometimes attaching a gatha to the in and out breath is helpful, such as one I find very useful is "breathing in, I have arrived", "breathing out, I am home". (one of Thay's favourite I think as I do see it quite often in his books)

Sometimes these efforts at conscious breathing also bring awareness of the whole body as well (not focusing on any specific parts, but just a general sense of presence in the body).  It may be more natural for me to associate breath awareness with body awareness because the current method of formal meditation that I am doing, is a form of breath meditation coupled with whole-body awareness (can probably see it as a form of a variant of the body component of Anapanasati)

I find it most helpful to bring attention to the whole-body and breath ( I think of it as a "2-point" contact with the present moment, sometimes I like to include a third point contact, usually the sense of hearing - e.g. sound of a bell etc). A gatha, while not necessary, may be useful too, such as, "breathing in, aware of whole body. breathing out aware of whole body."

When my awareness flows back to the body, sometimes there is recognition of some form of tension in the body (a lot of times in the shoulders) and the recognition helps to release that tension. Thay's teaching offers another useful gatha. "breathing in, aware of whole body. breathing out, I release the tension in the body."  Other times there is recognition of physical discomfort due to a painful feeling or emotion that I am holding onto.  In this case, the recognition prevents me from automatically "activating the reactions or outbursts" that comes with the emotion.  Conscious breathing helps me to stay with physical sensations.

 May all of us continue to enjoy our practice and be well and happy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment