He's on his way back home

He's on his way back home

Sunday, December 29, 2013

How to Meditate

Having completed and recommended the book "3 steps to awakening", I am currently reading "How to Meditate" by Pema Chodron. 

She serves as resident teacher at Gampo Abbey Monastery in Nova Scotia and is a student of Dzigar Kongtrul Rinpoche and of the late Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche.

This book talks in depth on the essentials of a meditative practice.  It starts with the basic practice of breath meditation and then move onto working with thoughts and emotions.

I recommend this book because of two reasons.

First, when I am reading this book, I feel like listening to a Dharma talk by Pema Chodron (I am biased, I like this kind of book =P) and am able to relate to what she is saying to my own meditation practice (again, like 3 steps to awakening, while this book is by a Dharma teacher of a different tradition, the content transcend traditions and is totally relevant to my practice).
I keep finding many practical and compassionate teachings and advice on "how to" practice throughout the book.

Second, in a previous post(s) I discussed how I see "working with emotions" as an important part of my practice.  Chapters 12-18 are dedicated to "working with emotions".  So again I find many gems in those chapters and can totally relate to what she is saying about working with emotions.

May all of us continue to enjoy our practice and be well and happy =)

No comments:

Post a Comment